Youngoon Hut ruins
Youngoona hut is one of a number of outstations huts established on reliable waters by Fredrick Hayward in 1852 from his head station at Aroona. Shepard's were employed to tend sheep flocks before the introduction of fencing. Sheep were generally yarded at night to protect them them attacks by dingoes.
These shepard's huts were built entirely of local material using mud mortared stone chimneys & mud sealed vertical pine walls were weatherproofed with ‘whitewash’. The roofs were thatched with reeds & grasses while the floors were formed from rammed earth or flagstones.
|back to IN OUR BACKYARD|